Monday, July 29, 2013

Ashleigh Neame - Kidnapped & A Book and A Pen

Kidnapped - Ruperake Petaia
A Book and A Pen - Vaine Rasmussen




When it came time for me to go to high school
my parents chose the ‘elite’ system.
I did not go through my country’s education system, no.
I did Cambridge.
I did CIE.
I did my schooling the British way.

My country was colonised by the Europeans,
as were the countries of the writer of each poem.
Kidnapped.
A Book and a Pen.

Unlike these poets, I chose my education.
I chose to do it the English way.
My country’s system did not work for me,
so I did it the better way.
So some I can relate, and some I cannot.
Ruperake Petaia was released.
I assume Vaine Rasmussen was too.
I escaped.
I was not granted the piece of paper, not like the writers.
I escaped, to another education system.

As their poems work chronologically,
so does mine.
They went to primary,
To secondary,
To university.
As did I.

They drew on their personal experiences.
As am I.

I understand why Petaia calls fellow students
fellow victims.
I understand why he calls graduation
his release.
I used to feel that way also.

I relate less to Rasmussen –
I am not up to post-schooling life.
I am still studying.
I do not feel as if I have missed a lot –
There is nothing for me to miss yet.

In some ways I can relate.
In some ways I cannot relate.
I do not have a separate culture to those of my educators.
I am the same.

I can relate.
I can’t relate.
I can understand.
I can’t understand.

Kidnapped,
with a book and a pen.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! I LOVE this Ashleigh - good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh,

    Excellent response. I like the turbulence in it, that you're standing your ground but appreciating that conflicts remain. You show confidence in responding from your own context, rather than just affirming or denying the original text. In Rasmussen's poem we can consider the use of irony, to cloud the waters, that they may be grateful but ungrateful and that their final judgement is contingent upon them living more years with the legacy of what they've gained and lost.

    The last stanza has a powerful effect, showing different sides of the question battling against each other. Potent stuff.

    I can relate.
    I can’t relate.
    I can understand.
    I can’t understand.


    James G

    ReplyDelete