Monday, August 12, 2013

The World Before Colonialism


(This is written as a general response to several poems and my experience on study abroad in New Zealand.)

The World Before Colonialism:

A world once with
The Tapu and the Ngaru


The Haka and the Poi
A Hangi and a Marae

Now replaced by
Atomic bombs and rifles
Obesity and Victoria's Secret

Things lacking in spiritual being

If I couldJust take a peak

Just to see
Just to know

Where in my imagination
I could be
Singing Pokarekare Ana
Under a Kowhai tree

A world where
My ears could hear a Tui call

And not a single
Unnatural sound

But, how could I know?
How could I see?
What colonialism took away
From you and from me

I read to remember
I read to find

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ariel,

    Interesting piece of work. Makes me both think and feel, which is the sign of a well crafted, authentic piece of text. The short sentences and mixed/jumbled verse arrangement gives this an energy, doesn't let the reader settle too much, which is good. There is tension in both the context and the style - which represents the tension in the world you're describing.

    I read to remember
    I read to find

    ... is a great way to end. A kind of affirmation of response mechanism, while the actual response is a work in progress and will take a lifetime.

    One strong component is the freedom you've given yourself (as writers and poets must) to pick signifiers and use them as potent symbols without having to justify every possible permutation of investigation. e.g:

    'Now replaced by
    Atomic bombs and rifles
    Obesity and Victoria's Secret'

    You're choosing symbols that have a sharp edge, and also meaning to you, as fuel for your argument. That leaves the rest of us to respond, in our own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ariel,
    I am very impressed by this work.
    You certainly seemed to have had an interesting study abroad experience, if this poem is anything to go by.
    I think the symbols and images that you use throughout are very evocative, and to me there is quite an interesting play with 'time' here - not just a then + now scenario, but a process that is being referred to.
    I find this a very sensory journey.
    I like the 'unnatural sound' line.
    At least, that's what comes to mind for me!

    ReplyDelete