Monday, August 12, 2013

Dear Brown Brother.

Dear Brown Brother,
Sometimes I am brown and sometimes I am white.
Sometimes I will claim to be one,
But this usually ends in a fight.

Am I a Half Kast?
I am half brown.
I am half white.
No, I am an out cast.

I can't speak the language.
I can't play rugby.
I can't sing.
I can't dance.
But boy can I eat.
I have an islanders appetite,
But a white mans appearance.

I understand the traditions and culture.
I know the Pacific way.
I get the jokes.
But do you care?
No, all you see is that I am fair.

So dear brown brother,
Am I still your brother,
Even though we are not the same colour?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Petazoe,

    Enjoyed this, the energy and tension and the way it reflects several facets of identity construction, and several ongoing conflicts:

    1) Is brown a colour, a statement of solidarity, a way of thinking, a set of stereotypes
    2) What are the signifiers of being 'in' and 'out' of the group described as brown.
    3) Who gets to define and quantify a concept like brown
    4) Is there a psychological 'brown' and how far can we stretch it, how deep does it run

    Makes us ponder, intellectually, as well as react, viscerally.

    James G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peta,
    I also enjoyed this - well done!
    I see how you have thought about the original 'Brown Brother' piece we looked at in class, and responded to it.
    I wonder how the ideas in the poem would work in talking to your 'half white' side.
    How do you 'fit in' with those stereotypes?
    Good work,
    Esther :)

    ReplyDelete