Monday, August 19, 2013

Constantly in Motion

Constantly in Motion

Life as a child was not very intriguing.  I loved the simple things.  But, I always yearned for more.  I want to leave my home, I wanted to leave Vermont, I just wanted to explore.  "I want to be anywhere but here," I would say.  Vacations and traveling for a few weeks would not quench my desire to travel.  I counted the days I would be free.

Then, I left.  Not far at first, off to the city.  Only four hours away.  Loud buses, trains, parties, horns.  Never a second of peace or quiet.  Impossible to hear the birds chirping.  Everyone rushed; never a chance to pause and take a breath.  In the city of Boston.

Then, I left.  Not that far, only 4 hours away.  To the peace an quiet.  Where the Amish with their horses and buggies were a common sight.  My walk each morning included birds, and squirrels and - if I was lucky, - a woodchuck.  People relaxed and hiked.  But, it was too quiet.  In the village of Potsdam.

Then, I left.  Far, far away.  On a 50 hour journey across the equator, across my country, across the Pacific Ocean.  Where I have yet to meet an unfriendly Kiwi.  Where the beauty extends beyond the beaches and above the mountains. Auckland is quiet at night and lively in the day.  Perfect.  In the country of Aotearoa.

But, it is not home and soon I will leave.  Continue travelling the world. Constantly in motion.

But, I know I will return.  No matter how far I go Vermont will always be my home, in the end.  Just as it was in the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ariel,
    What a powerful story!
    I like the short, sharp fragmented sentences.
    It feels quite 'confessional' and intimate.
    I can see many connections to the literature and theme we have been exploring - well done, Esther :)

    ReplyDelete