Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Creative Response - A book and a Pen

A book and a pen written by Vaine Rasmussen

Mmm.
Rolling my eyes and my arms cross, finding its resting spot above my chest
I stand on a lean watching you in a mess.

A drunken mistake made in the island, branded myself a name
Disgusting they say
Hopeless they say
Home wrecking whore, skank, slut, mistress,
Everyone in my village says.
But taking a married man by the hand after fai kava
Leading me into bed of branches,
No night lamp but the moon does us some justice.
A moment of distress, loneliness
My good girl antics died as he wiggled inside of me
In what he calls a moment of weakness

15 with all the hope in the world,
Hanging on my shoulders a heavy satchel
Mr pip. To kill a mocking bird. Year 12 statistics. Year 12 chemistry. Year 12 mathematics.
A pen and a paper.
My struggles to get out of here were pasted brightly with high lighters over all of these books.
I was called the head of the class
My name was posted on the newspapers
I was the one to beat!
Scholarships to New Zealand, to study health science in Otago University
Scholarships to New Zealand, to study law in Victoria University
Scholarships to New Zealand, to study Physics in Auckland University

Drenched in Tongan oil, my culture I wear
The brown colored mats tightly fitted on my back
My ankles, my wrist, my neck chained with the light reminder of where I come from
My hair strapped tightly in a bun with the tree of money falling at every movement.
It begins to dry,
The oil that is.
I do not notice it
I smile and watch my hand move like a calm ocean
As the aunties and uncles run and dance beside me
Throwing expensive paper at my oil stained skin
It does not stick.

I vomit at the smell of powdered milk,
My black face becomes white
My bones then hide under the new layers of fat
As my stomach grows,
I begin to hear the whispers as I wear my uniform,
No longer fitting the way it used to
I walk with my maroon dress to the bus stop
I enter
The whispers become louder.
I leave school
No, I was forced to leave school.

I held onto my culture with two tightly gripped hands
And this is what it has done to me.
If only my faith had been bestowed on my pen, my paper
I could have had it both ways
My customs and my education

Instead, I now watch my blood and my flesh
Making a mess of herself
No longer in the village that secretly shunned me,
But all alone in country that does not know me.

She will not make the mistake that I have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment