Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Identity

My Identity

Do you know where your home land is?
Do you know your blood lines originate from?
Do you know where you are going back to?

Do you know who you are?

I do not know.
My bloodlines are hidden,
I know they trace back across the world.

Maybe an eighth English,
Only one sixteenth Abenaki,
Half French-Canadian,
Less than one eighth Swedish,
A quarter German.

When we quantify ourselves by percentages who have we become?

I have no way left to explain my ancestors
Or where my bloodlines come from.

I learn bits and pieces of the language or culture:
un peu Franรงais
ein bisschen Deutsch
For the sake of knowing who I am and trying to understand where I come from.

There have been no traditional culture left with my generation.
No language, no stories, no songs.

My family and I,
We now have to make our culture.

We can not got back.
So,
We must go forward;
We are now creating our own identity.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting exploration of culture and identity here. Especially regarding the younger generation, and how the phenomenon of culture, for them, has very much changed. Perhaps, the old kind of cultural traditions of, as you say: (language, stories, songs), have become, or have been replaced by a digital culture, like blogging, social media etc.

    ReplyDelete